2011/04/28

“The Trap”

“The Trap” takes place back in the days when animals could talk and humans listened. One day there was a drought in the land, so all the animals are gathered around a water hole. Leopard, however wasn’t pleased because he was having no success on catching dinner. So, as he scanned the trees for some likely prey, he accidentally fell into a trap – a hole from which he could not escape. He calls for help to squirrel who decides to help him by bending a long branch into the hole. Leopard promises to be Squirrel’s friend, but soon forgets that promise and tries to eat Squirrel. About that time, Old Man Elephant comes by and Squirrel calls out for help. Old Man Elephant, upon hearing the story, begins to laugh and says, that it could never have happened that way. Both the Leopard and Squirrel insist that this is the case, so the Elephant challenges them to recreate the scenario which they do with the Leopard jumping back into hole. Before the Squirrel can bend the branch into the hole again, the Elephant stops him and says they will leave the Leopard in his hole because, “A Leopard cannot change his spots”.


"The Trap"
Elder Tales: Stories of Wisdom and Courage from Around the World by Dan Keding (p. 141).
I chose this story because I've always been into "trickster" tales. It's appropriate for children, around 8 through Adult. I had the opportunity to tell this story to a 9 year old and she loved it. It was the first story I told for the storytelling class, and I had trouble adapting an ending. At this particular telling of it for the 9 year old, I forgot what my latest ending would be, so, when I couldn't remember my next line, I used a technique from "A Crash Course in Storytelling": I asked my audience, "What do you think Old Man Elephant said?". And she responded instantly and beautifully, "You shouldn't break your promises". It fit so well with that particular telling of the story, that I simply praised her saying, "That's right!" and she beamed and I was relieved.